Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars (ADTS) - Overview
The Scholars program was initiated in August 2004 to reward our most effective educators and to utilize their expertise to advance the vision of scholarly excellence and faculty enhancement at the University of Florida. Academy members serve as advisors to the Associate Provost for three years and assist the Associate Provost in developing programs and promoting policies that enhance the professional careers and experiences of faculty. Their mission is to develop and recommend implementation of policies that enhance the University of Florida's ability to continuously improve its high level of academic excellence. Academy members also promote a university-wide discourse on key issues surrounding the integration of teaching and research at the University. After completing their three-year terms on the advisory board, members retain the title of Distinguished Teaching Scholar and continue to be a part of the Academy. An honorarium of $3,000 per year (total of $9,000) disbursed to a discretionary account is awarded to each Scholar for their service.
Applicants must be tenured UF faculty who hold at a minimum, the rank of Associate Professor (minimum of 5 years).
Selection Criteria and Process
- Self-nominations are acceptable, but all packets must be accompanied by a letter of support from the candidate’s Dean.
- Applications must demonstrate a strong record of integration of superior teaching and research and a record of distinguished scholarly accomplishment that has garnered recognition at the national and/or international level.
- Candidates should articulate strategies to advance the mission and vision of the ADTS through their work on specific projects.
- The selection process is highly competitive and based on merit.
- All of the required components of the application packet must be submitted by the deadline.
- Applicants are recommended to the Provost by current Academy members. A maximum of three applicants will be inducted into the Academy in a given year.
- Applicants are notified of the results by mail.
- Applicants must submit a complete application packet by the established deadline. Packets must include:
- Application packet that adheres to the Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars Application Guidelines (PDF; similar to the format used for T&P packets.)
- Narrative (5 page limit, 12 pt font, single spaced) that addresses the information outlined in the application guidelines.
Letter of support from Dean.
- Submit all electronic materials by January 22, 2016 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.